Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shut up and Take My Money: Knights of Pen and Paper + 1 Edition

Yeah, I have been waiting on this one for a while. Let's just say I was very happy to hear a while back when Paradox got involved as the publisher. A good match IMNSHO, but I am not here to talk about business dealing... no I am here to talk about a game (that I have not played, yet have watched videos of) as it reminds me of why people play games: to have fun.

KoP&P+1 (seriously, a better acronym is needed) looks to be a very fun game. Sure it has a plot, and cute mechanics and all that; but the entertainment value of this game is what draws me in... well that and the nostalgia force from many years of being a Pencil & Paper RPG nut. The game is already out now (for iPhones and other portable electronics) but I have been penitently waiting for the souped-up PC version that was forthcoming.

What appeals to me about this game, is how well it seems to capture some of the silly and weird things that can occur at a gaming table. Sure there are groups that like to be ultra serious; but this game better represents the lay gaming table. Just a group of friends and assorted hoodlums (and random little brothers) sitting around, talking, throwing down dice (never touch another man's dice!) and having fun.

As a longtime game-master (I prefer Game Operations Director myself), I definitely can relate to the allure of running games with homages to other source materials. Sure I personally never included TMNT variants in any of my campaigns, but I was inspired by outside sources on many occasions. To each their own.

What was the point of this blog post? No point really than simply to toss some nostalgic mumblings into the digital wind while I wait to sink my greedy teeth into this fine morsel.