Wednesday, February 2, 2011

More God Games Please!

I have long been a big fan of god games. Populous, Powermonger, Black & White, various Civ-type games (Stronghold! Dwarf Fortress! etc.) heck one could even list Actraiser in there. Alas there is a definite dearth of additional games of this type coming out in the near future. To the best of my knowledge, the only one on the horizon is From Dust.

The Black and White games had a certain charm of course, but they were sorely lacking in terrain modification and editing; something I consider to be a staple of god games. Throwing villagers (and feeding them to your creature) is all fun of course, but I really wished I could have altered the terrain of the levels I played upon.

The Fable series of games has a similar feel IMO. With Fable 3 allowing one to become king, I wonder if Divinity is in the future of this series?

Really looking forward to From Dust; especially as terrain editing is the big feature. Hopefully it will be out sometime later this year, or early next.